It’s easy to start racking up a bill when you’re out shopping. Whether you’re on a budget or not, there are plenty of good tips to take with you next time you venture into a store. We’ve got five ways to shop on a budget without compromising style or quality.
· Don’t get distracted with a sale. The best way to stick to a budget when shopping is to know what you need before going inside. If an item isn’t on your list, it’s an added expenditure whether it’s on sale or not.
· Shop during off seasons. If you know you’re going to need a new winter coat next year, try shopping for one in late winter or spring when many of the brands and styles are discounted. Knowing what needs replacement ahead of time will help you purchase in low-demand seasons (and save money!).
· Rent clothing for special occasions. If you’re getting ready for a holiday party or need a dress for as a wedding guest, consider renting a garment instead of purchasing. Not only are special occasions outfits expensive, you rarely get more than one or two wears out of them. Instead, search for an online clothing rental (even designer brands) to get an outfit for a single event.
· Avoid clothing that requires dry cleaning. As beautiful as some garments are, if they require lots of upkeep and special washing, it’s not worth it when you’re on a budget. Check the label when shopping and avoid materials that need dry cleaning only.
· Cheapest isn’t always best. Regardless of your budget, always look for clothing that’s at the top of your limits. While it might be tempting to buy cheaper clothing over more expensive options, consider the number of wears you’ll get to help you make a decision. If the cheaper item needs replacing more often, it’s going to end up being more expensive long-term.
Budget or not, you can get some really great pieces at any price. Consider going with the essentials and creating a capsule wardrobe to help stretch the budget and include quality pieces.